Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Finding a Tribe

"There is a river flowing now, very fast. It is so great and swift and that there are those who would be afraid. They will try to hold onto the shore. They will feel they will be torn apart and suffer greatly. Know that the river has it's destination. The elders say we must push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open, and our heads above the water. See who is in there with you and celebrate. At this time in history we are to take nothing personally, least of all ourselves, for the moment we do that, our spiritual growth comes to a halt. The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves: banish the word, struggle, from your attitude and vocabulary. All that we do now must be done in a sacred way and in CELEBRATION. We are the ones we've been waiting for." 
-Hopi Elder, from Mediations on the Mat by Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison

TRIBE: A LARGE FAMILY

There are moments in life when you realize that you've found THEM. The people who inspire you, challenge you, fight for you, cry with you, hold you, lift you, change you, and guide you. These people come from places and situations you once never knew existed and the joy they create is utterly profound.

On my drive home tonight; with a song coursing through my stereo at a beat thumping tenor, it kind of hit me out of nowhere. The past four months I've built two new tribes in my life. With these people I feel more myself, more connected to others, more involved in my community, filled with more purpose and compassion, and have gained a new understanding of myself and those around me.

My yoga family at CorePower Yoga and the incredible family I've built at the Slamdance Film Festival over the past four months has irrevocably altered my everyday existence. They show me, on a daily basis, what it means to have passion, vision, joy, challenge, hunger, gratitude, generosity, cohesion, faith, trust, friendship, drive, fun, love, contentment, and self worth.

I am so profoundly grateful for these tribes; these amazing human beings, that make me want to be better than I could have possibly imagined for myself.

Tonight as I lay in bed next to my loving boyfriend, with a cool breeze, a good book, a warm blanket and my glowing computer screen; I am truly humbled.

Thank you for leading me back home.

(to my family and friends: the gratitude is boundlessly immeasurable) 





No comments:

Post a Comment